Rodent Control – new legislation

Options for farmers:

In readiness, farmers have four options, all designed to ensure biosecurity and food safety, to be ready for using “stewardship label” rodenticides on their premises:

1. Possession of a certificate from an approved training programme and awarding organisation confirming professional competence.

2. Employment of a professional pest control contractor, which employs technicians themselves in possession of such approved certificates.

3. Membership of a UK farm assurance scheme which has among its standards a structured, documented and audited programme of rodenticide pest management.  Click an up-to-date list of acceptable farm assurance schemes.

Please note that this is an interim measure, which will cease after December 2017 – unless the farm assurance schemes in question bring their standards fully in line with the CRRU Code of Best Practice.

The current schemes are:

  • Red Tractor Farm Assurance – Beef and Lamb, Dairy, Crops, Fresh Produce, Pigs, Poultry
  • Quality Meat Scotland – Cattle & Sheep, Pigs
  • Farm Assured Welsh Livestock – Beef & Lamb
  • Scottish Quality Crops
  • Northern lreland Farm Quality Assurance Scheme – Beef and Lamb, Cereals
  • British Egg Industry Council: Code of Practice for Lion Eggs
  • Duck Assurance Scheme (Breeder replacement, Breeder layers, Hatcheries, Table birds, Free-range table birds)
  • Agricultural Industries Confederation (Compound feeds, Combinable crops and Animal feeds)

4. The purchase and use of amateur rodenticide products (which refers to pack sizes of up to 1.5kg.)